div#ContactForm1 { display: none !important; }

Sunday 2 February 2014

My New Writing Place

I have been doing a lot of 'messing about' in my house, moving stuff around, then moving it back, dragging the table from room to room, re-piling my books and magazines from one corner to the other. That sort of thing. 

Just where is the best place to sit and write for hours and hours? I had been in the kitchen/diner, but found I was getting way too cold with inactivity and the radiator in there just didn't quite cut it.

So, in to the lounge - sat on top of the radiator. However, this is also right in front of the window, and although that is good for those 'I'm lost' moments where I can gaze longingly outside for inspiration - the neighbours were beginning to give me funny looks.






During the many moves, I had also been thinking about how I work. I read with interest Wendy's blog about using Scrivener - I had downloaded a trial a while ago, so thought I should give it another look. 


But, no. I think I am more of a physical writer. I like the snippets from newspapers, articles and magazines. I enjoy cutting things out and moving them around on the table (or floor) and filing things away in folders. I have come to the conclusion that using software would take away the fun for me. 


So, off I went to purchase cork board, pins, string and index cards. Yes. That felt better. Now I have a blank cork board positioned above the table (well, apart from the working title of my novel). I can still see the window and peek outside, I am near the radiator, but the neighbours can no longer see me. Perfect.

Now all I have to do is use the cork board. I am envisaging being a bit like Ryan Hardy from The Following - his boards are fab - I only have the one at the moment! 

That will do for starters. Here is my new place...
Now, to fill that cork board! :)



3 comments:

  1. I like the look of your 'new place' but I'm very nosy so a desk by the window would be too much of a distraction for me perhaps. Hope you fill the cork board with interesting 'writing' things. I collect snippets and headlines from newspapers too but have only thought of them in isolation as ideas for stories. I love the idea of moving them around and making links maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about being distracted by the window, although it's not too much of a problem for me as it is a cul-de-sac so not too much to see! I have yet to put anything other than the working title of the novel on my cork board!
    I am planning on rectifying that today - with luck...and concentration. Let's hope I don't get too caught up in the newspaper/magazine clippings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link, Sam. Your writing room looks very calming - I shall post a picture of my new one sometime... the only problem is, I still end up writing in the living room!

    ReplyDelete