div#ContactForm1 { display: none !important; }

Friday 2 May 2014

Halfway There - I feel a Bon Jovi song coming on...

It feels like a massive accomplishment already - yes premature, but still - I have reached the half way mark of 40,000 words - Yay! :) 



It has taken just over two months, therefore the first draft should be completed by July by my reckoning. But then what?

The dreaded editing...




 I have mixed feelings about this part. I do seem to go over and edit each chapter as I go (can't stop myself) and so I wonder how I will find trying to edit again (and possibly again and again!). I really like this advice particularly the Tips for avoiding rejection as you edit your novel. 

Anyway, I guess I am getting ahead of myself, I should just be concentrating on completing the second half and worry about editing then. 

I am enjoying myself immensely - why oh why didn't I do this sooner?!

How are you getting on with your WIP? Finished? Not started? I'd love to hear from you about your progress.

Happy writing :)

6 comments:

  1. That's great progress, Samantha!
    I've found that reading out loud, all the way through, while taking notes is great for editing/rewriting. Then I take the notes, make changes, let it simmer a day or two and then do it again.
    Each time I read out loud I find dialog and phrasing that needs tweaking.
    Let me know if this helps.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thanks so much for popping by Gary! I always feel stupid reading aloud for some reason, but yes, I can see it would make sense, particularly with dialogue. Any hints and tips gratefully received - I will of course let you know if it helps (when I have thrown everyone out of the house so they don't hear me) :)

      Delete
  2. Well done, you! Half way through must be a great feeling. I haven't written any more of mine so you've given me the spur I need to get back to it! I have been busy trying to get the WW story I started in the workshop finished. I've sent that off a few days ago so no excuse now! Thanks for the link to the editing advice. It looks very useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, yes, it does feel pretty good. Well done for sending your story off to WW, I really hope you have a success - I have just received another rejection from them :(
      Let me know how you do this week with progress on your novel! :)

      Delete
  3. You're doing really well, Sam... Better than me - I never did start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. You are clearly being far too successful with your short stories to get around to a novel yet! :)

      Delete